Math in Dance

Date: 09/30/2001 at 10:48:12
From: Mary
Subject: Math in dance

Can you explain possible ways that math and dance could be related?

Date: 09/30/2001 at 13:06:02
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: Math in dance

Hi Mary,

There are probably lots of answers to your question. Rhythm and
symmetry are the most obvious connections.

I found some activities connecting math and dance at

   MATH DANCE - Dr. Schaffer and Mr. Stern
   http://www.mathdance.org/

Perhaps some of them will give you ideas.

An article from Math Awareness Month may also be of interest:

   Math Plots and Plans: Julie Strandberg
   http://mathforum.org/mam/00/master/people/strandberg/

It has links about the notation used to record dance, how math can be
used to describe modern dance, and some dimensionality exercises.

And here's one more link that might help you. The Kennedy Center's
ArtsEdge site has several lesson plans relating to math and dance.
Maybe they'll give you some more ideas. See:

   http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org/teaching_materials/curricula

(Select Mathematics.)

I hope this helps. Write back if you have more questions.

- Doctor Jodi, The Math Forum

High School About Math
Middle School About Math