Null Sets

Date: 8/23/96 at 20:35:41
From: Anonymous
Subject:  Null Sets

Hello again,

I have a question for which my geometry teacher could not remember the
answer.  We were talking about sets and he told us that the null set
is a subset of every set, but he couldn't remember if it was a *
proper* subset of every set.  Thanks.

T.J. Jenkins

Date: 8/25/96 at 7:9:32
From: Doctor Pete

The null set is not a proper subset of every set. If A is a subset
of B, the containment is proper if and only if there exists an
element b in B such that b is not in A. Since every set contains
itself (i.e. every set is a subset of itself), the null set is a
subset of the null set. But this containment is not proper; thus the
null set is not a proper subset of every set.

-Doctor Pete,  The Math Forum

High School Sets