Early Development of Geometry

Date: 2/5/96 at 10:17:3
From: Anonymous
Subject: Pythagoras and the Chinese

While searching the web, I have discovered that Zhoubi Suanjing (The
Arithmetical Classic of the Gnomon and the Circular Paths of Heaven (c.
100 B.C.E. - c.100 C.E)) states the Pythagorean theorem during the Han
dynasty.  Do you have any references for this?  I am trying to find some
parallels in the development of early geometry between the East and the
West.

Date: 2/29/96 at 12:41:55
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: Pythagoras and the Chinese

Hi... While browsing through Books in Print, I found a reference that
might help you. It's a book called WAS PYTHAGORAS CHINESE?
AN EXAMINATION OF RIGHT TRIANGLE THEORY IN ANCIENT
CHINA by Frank Swetz and T.I.Kao

published by Penn State U Press in 1977, ISBN 0-271-01238-2

It looks like the paperback is around $5.95 (at least as of 1990 or so),
but your librarian should also be able to help you loan a copy through
Interlibrary Loan.

Good luck!

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Date: 2/29/96 at 21:29:51
From: Doctor Ken

Hey there -

Here are a couple of other references you might be interested in:

The Crest of the Peacock: Non-European Roots of Mathematics
by George Gheverghese Joseph.

Also, check out this resource on the Web:

   http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/mathhist/china.html

It's part of a big math history site.

Enjoy!

-Doctor Ken,  The Math Forum