Influential Mathematicians in History

Date: 9/12/96 at 10:9:51
From: Bette Benda
Subject: Really Cool Famous Individual

My son has been assigned a project on a famous individual and his/her
influence on math, e.g. Michelangelo. My son wonders if there is any
one really cool person that you could suggest.  He loves using the
Internet resources for his projects. Thank you for your time,

Sincerely Bette and Michael

Date: 9/12/96 at 10:31:48
From: Doctor Steve
Subject: Re: Really Cool Famous Individual

Hello Bette and Michael,

The ideas that come to my mind at first are:

Euler (wide-ranging, important contributions):
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Euler.html

Fermat (famous for a problem long unsolved):
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Fermat.html

Galois (had a made-for-tv life):
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Galois.html
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/HistTopics/Life_of_Evariste_Galois.html#1

Gauss (wide-ranging, important contributions):
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Gauss.html

Pascal (invented first digital calculator, known for his work in
probability, geometry, and other sciences):
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Pascal.html

Poincaré (exciting mathematics linked to physics):
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Poincare.html

and then there are the golden oldies:
Euclid (famous work on geometry):
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Euclid.html

Archimedes (also famous for work with the circle and curves as well as
with mechanics):
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Archimedes.html

-Doctor Steve,  The Math Forum

High School History/Biography