Trachtenberg Mathematics

Date: 12/08/96 at 19:03:13
From: Paul M Blake
Subject: Trachtenberg Mathematics

A  long time ago I had a book on "Trachtenberg System" of mathematics.
This was a book on "speed math" or a way of thinking about math in
your head enabling the reader to quickly solve general math problems
without the aid of pencil and papers.  I have for several years been
looking for this book.  The closest I've come is an inquiry from
someone in Scotland who was searching for this same book.  I wrote to
him and have not yet received a response of any kind.

Coming upon this web site while surfing one day I thought I'd send you
this message.  Perhaps somewhere in your records or possibly someone
connected with your institution knows something about this
Trachtenberg system or something similar?  Any information you can
provide would be appreciated.  Thank you for your consideration.

Date: 12/08/96 at 23:55:49
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: Trachtenberg Mathematics

Hi Paul -

The Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics

       By Ann Cutler
       Translated and adapted by Ann Cutler and Rudolph McShane

       Greenwood Press Reprint. Garden City. 1960. 270 pages
       LC 81-13439. ISBN 0-313-23200-8

  is on the Web at

  http://www.opengroup.com/mabooks/031/0313232008.shtml

-Doctor Sarah,  The Math Forum

Date: 12/09/96 at 03:46:37
From: Paul M Blake

Thank you!  Thank you so much for the speedy reply to my question
about the Trachtenberg method of mathematics!  I am surprised with the
speed with which you replied and am thankful that you had the
available resources to find this when I have not been able to do so
myself or with the assistance of one or two local book merchants!

I am also forwarding on your reply to the person in Scotland who was
searching for the book also.  Thanks again.

Associated Topics:
High School History/Biography
Middle School History/Biography