Fibonacci

Date: 01/31/97 at 19:20:13
From: KEITH MCKENZIE
Subject: Fibonacci

Hi Dr. Math,

My name is Shoushou and I have a report due on Fibonacci.  He's a
mathematician and that's why I thought I could get some information
from you.

Sincerely,  Shoushou

Date: 01/31/97 at 20:04:20
From: Doctor Wilkinson
Subject: Re: Fibonacci

Here's some information from the MacTutor Math History archives at St.
Andrews - for math history and math reference links, see the bottom of
the Dr. Math FAQ: http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/

Leonardo Pisano Fibonacci

Born: 1170 in (probably) Pisa (now in Italy)
Died: 1250 in (possibly) Pisa (now in Italy)

Fibonacci, or Leonard of Pisa, better known by his nickname Fibonacci,
played an important role in reviving ancient mathematics and made
significant contributions of his own. _Liber Abaci_, a book he wrote,
introduced the Hindu-Arabic place-valued decimal system and the use of
Arabic numerals into Europe.

Fibonacci was born in Italy but was educated in North Africa, where
his father held a diplomatic post. He travelled widely with his
father, recognizing the enormous advantages of the mathematical
systems used in the countries he visited.

_Liber Abaci_, published in 1202 after his return to Italy, is based
on bits of arithmetic and algebra that Fibonacci had accumulated
during his travels. A problem in _Liber Abaci_ led to the introduction
of the Fibonacci numbers and the Fibonacci sequence for which
Fibonacci is best remembered today. The _Fibonacci Quarterly_ is a
modern journal devoted to studying mathematics related to this
sequence.

Fibonacci's other books of major importance are _Practica Geometriae_,
published in 1220, which contains a large collection of geometry and
trigonometry.  In _Liber Quadratorum_, published in 1225, he
approximates a root of a cubic obtaining an answer which in decimal
notation is correct to 9 places.

_Mis Practica Geometriae_, published in 1220, gives a compilation of
the geometry of the time and also introduces some trigonometry.