Lenore Blum

Date: 04/21/97 at 08:19:39
From: Nicole Borsenik
Subject: Lenore Blum

I need to get some information on Lenore Blum.  I have looked
everywhere at my school and public libraries.  I need to know what she
has done and why she's famous.

Date: 04/21/97 at 14:23:03
From: Doctor Rob
Subject: Re: Lenore Blum

I looked in the Combined Membership List of the American Mathematical
Society on-line, and found:

Blum, Lenore
Deputy Director
Mathematical Sciences Research Institute
700 Euclid Ave., Berkeley, CA 94708-1334
Office phone: 510-643-8321
E-mail address:  lblum@msri.org

If you want to find out what mathematical papers she wrote, look at
the URL:

http://www.ams.org/committee/publications/author-lookup.html

There you can search for papers by "Blum, L." and find what she has
written.  That may not help you discover the significance of it, but
it is a start.

-Doctor Rob,  The Math Forum

Date: 04/26/97 at 22:33:52
From: Doctor Sarah

Hi Nicole -

The Agnes Scott College Web site on women mathematicians is a great
site which you can find at:

  http://www.scottlan.edu/lriddle/women/women.html

Lenore Blum's biography is at:

  http://www.scottlan.edu/lriddle/women/blum.html

Here's some of what it says - but you'll want to read it all:

"... She was one of the first members of the Association for Women in
Mathematics, of which she was later president. In 1973 she was hired
at Mills College to teach an algebra class - an experience that she
was not satisfied with, and that she was determined to change to make
more interesting and more enjoyable for both instructor and student.
She founded the Mills College Math and Computer Science department,
serving as its head for 13 years.

In the 1980's she decided to become a full-time research
mathematician, a decision which has paid off for her, as proven by the
numerous talks she has given at international conferences for
mathematicians, including a presentation of her work at the 1990
International Congress of Mathematicians in Kyoto, Japan.

Since 1988 Blum has been a research scientist in the Theory Group of
the International Computer Science Institute, and since 1989, an
adjunct professor of computer science at Berkeley. She served as vice
president of the American Mathematical Society from 1990 to 1992. It
was in 1992 that she began her current position as the Deputy Director
of the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute (MSRI) at Berkeley,
where she continues to strive towards eliminating negative math stigma
for girls and making closer the worlds of mathematicians and math
educators in such pursuits.

Blum has been widely recognized as a champion for women and
girls in mathematics...."

-Doctor Sarah,  The Math Forum

High School History/Biography
Middle School History/Biography