Square root of a complex number.

Date: 6/6/96 at 12:32:47
From: Anonymous
Subject: The square root of a complex number.

My question is: Find the square root of 5+12i.  Hint: Let the square
root of 5+12i=a+bi.

This is how the question is in my math textbook.  I have been trying
it for a while now, but have been unable to get the answer.  I have
tried changing it to polar form and trying to get an answer from that,
but it does not seem to lead anywhere.

Any help you could give will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lindsey

Date: 6/14/96 at 1:2:55
From: Doctor Beth
Subject: Re: The square root of a complex number.

If the square root of a+bi is 5+12i, then you know that
(a+bi)^2 = 5+12i.

This leads to the equation a^2 + 2abi - b^2 = 5+12i.  Whenever two
complex numbers are equal, their real parts and imaginary parts are
equal, so you have the 2 equations a^2 - b^2 = 5 and 2ab = 12.  Since
this is two equations with two unknowns, you can probably take it from
here.  (I did the problem and ended up with something that factored
very nicely.)

-Doctor Beth,  The Math Forum

High School Exponents