Finding the Standard Deviation

Date: 8/5/96 at 11:35:0
From: Anonymous
Subject: Finding the Standard Deviation

What is the formula for calculating the standard deviation?  I cannot
seem to find it in the database.

Thanks.

Date: 8/5/96 at 11:56:3
From: Doctor Anthony
Subject: Re: Finding the Standard Deviation

If you require the s.d. for a population size n, the formula is:

sqrt[SIGMA{x^2/n} - m^2]

where x takes all values in turn in the population, and m is the mean
calculated from SIGMA{x/n}.  SIGMA means 'sum of'.

-Doctor Anthony,  The Math Forum

Date: 8/5/96 at 11:57:12
From: Doctor Paul

Standard Deviation is the square root of the variance.

-Doctor Paul,  The Math Forum

High School Statistics