Interpolation Polynomials and Linear Regression

Date: 10/09/98 at 08:37:26
From: Stephane
Subject: Interpolation polynomial

Dear Dr. Math,

I am working on a temperature compensated Crystal oscillator, and I
need to find the polynomial of a temperature curve.

Samples from the curve shall be taken within a certain temperature
range and shall be of fewer than 40 samples.

I read some articles about different techniques that can be used and
Lagrange interpolation technique seemed to be the simplest. However,
it is too heavy to compute with that many samples (40 samples would
give a 40th order polynomial). On the other hand, cubic splines would
result in a serie of 39 polynomials, one for each span (between two
samples).

Can you tell me if there is another technique, easy to compute, that
could give me a good approximation with only a 6th or 7th order
polynomial?

Thank you in advance,
Stephane

Date: 10/09/98 at 13:05:59
From: Doctor Rob
Subject: Re: Interpolation polynomial

Hi Stephane,

Yes, there is such a technique. It is called Least Squares Fitting, or
Linear Regression.

Pick the degree of the polynomial you want. Say it is degree d. Then
the function you are using to approximate has the form:

   f(x) = Sum a(k)*x^k
          k=0

For the N sample values (x[i],y[i]), compute f(x[i]). Then you want to
minimize the sum of the squares of the differences f(x[i]) - y[i] with
respect to the d+1 variables a(k), 0 <= k <= d. Form the sum:

   F[a(0),...,a(d)] = Sum [f(x[i])-y[i]]^2
                      i=1

Now to find the minimum value of F, take the partial derivatives of F
with respect to a(0), ..., a(d), and set them equal to zero:

   F_a(j) = Sum 2*[f(x[i])-y[i]]*x[i]^j = 0,  0 <= j <= d
            i=1

    d        N                N
   Sum a(k)*Sum x[i]^(k+j) = Sum x[i]^j*y[i],  0 <= j <= d
   k=0      i=1              i=1

This is a system of d+1 linear equations in d+1 unknowns which can
easily be solved for the seven variables a(k), 0 <= k <= d. Those will
be the coefficients of your function f(x). That f(x) approximates your
points best among all polynomials of degree d, in the sense that the
sum of the squares of the errors over all the points is least. You can
judge how good the fit is by evaluating F at that minimum. If the fit
isn't good enough, raise the degree and do it again. The root-mean-
square deviation is the square root of F_min/N, and is a fair measure
of how much each y[i] deviates from its approximated value f(x[i]) on
average.

Example: Suppose you had the N = 5 points:

   (x[1],y[1]) = (0,0)
   (x[2],y[2]) = (1,1)
   (x[3],y[3]) = (3,2)
   (x[4],y[4]) = (5,0)
   (x[5],y[5]) = (6,-2)

and I wanted to approximate y as a quadratic function of x (d = 2).
Then:

   f(x) = a(2)*x^2 + a(1)*x + a(0)

The system of equations I have to solve is:

 a(0)*Sum 1      + a(1)*Sum x[i]   + a(2)*Sum x[i]^2 = Sum y[i]
 a(0)*Sum x[i]   + a(1)*Sum x[i]^2 + a(2)*Sum x[i]^3 = Sum y[i]*x[i]
 a(0)*Sum x[i]^2 + a(1)*Sum x[i]^3 + a(2)*Sum x[i]^4 = Sum y[i]*x[i]^2

where the sums run over 1 <= i <= 5.

    5*a(0) +  15*a(1) +   71*a(2) =  1
   15*a(0) +  71*a(1) +  369*a(2) = -5
   71*a(0) + 369*a(1) + 2003*a(2) = -53

   a(0) = -75/637,  a(1) = 1052/637,  a(2) = -16/49

Then the function (-208*x^2 + 1052*x - 75)/637 approximates these five
points best, and the sum of the squared differences is:

   44/637 = 0.06907

so the fit is quite good, with root-mean-square deviation 0.1175.

- Doctor Rob, The Math Forum

High School Physics/Chemistry
High School Statistics