Box and Whisker Plots

Date: 05/18/2000 at 14:19:59
From: Drew Ashley
Subject: Quartiles of box-and-whisker plots

Dear Dr. Math,

My 7th-grade students and I are drawing box and whisker plots. I am
looking for confirmation on the placement of the first and third
quartiles.

If there is an odd number of data, is the median considered to be
part of the subgroup used to find the upper (or lower) quartile? It
seems reasonable to do so if that makes the subgroup an odd number of
data, and not to do so otherwise. Is that right?

     Example: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

The median is 3; should the lower quartile be 2 or 1.5?

Thanks for your help,
D. Ashley

Date: 05/19/2000 at 12:13:57
From: Doctor TWE
Subject: Re: Quartiles of box-and-whisker plots

Hi Drew - thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

According to _Statistics for Engineering and the Sciences_, W.
Mendenhall and T. Sincich, 1995: For small data sets, given n data
points A_1 to A_n, the lower and upper quartiles are calculated as
follows:

   1. Calculate l = (1/4)(n+1), round to the nearest integer
        (if l falls halfway between two integers, round UP)

   2. A_l is the lower quartile.

   3. Calculate u = (3/4)(n+1), round to the nearest integer
        (if u falls halfway between two integers, round DOWN)

   4. A_u is the upper quartile.

So for your example, n = 5 and

     l = (1/4)(5 + 1) = 1.5 -> 2, thus LQ = A_2 = 2

     u = (3/4)(5 + 1) = 4.5 -> 4, thus UQ = A_4 = 4

Note that with this definition, the upper and lower quartiles are
always one of the data points (thus, they could not be 1.5 and 4.5 for
your example). This differs from the median, which is the average of
the middle two if n is even, and thus might not be one of the data
points.

The reason for the "inconsistency" in rounding quartiles that fall
halfway between two integers (i.e. they end in .5) is to achieve
symmetry. If we rounded up on both quartiles when they ended in .5,
for your example data set we'd have LQ = 2 and UQ =5, and these are
not equidistant (in terms of number of data points) from the median or
the extreme data points.

You might also want to take a look at

  Median, Quartiles

for another point of view.

- Doctor TWE, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

For more on the meanings of "quartile" and mathematicians'
disagreements about them, see

  Defining Quartiles

- Doctor Melissa, The Math Forum

High School Statistics