Distribution of Chi-square and F

Date: 12/03/2001 at 10:53:09
From: Mike
Subject: Statistics; chi-square and F

I've noticed that the distributions of chi-square and F have similar
shapes.  My question is, do chi-square and F have a mathematical

Date: 12/05/2001 at 05:58:28
From: Doctor Mitteldorf
Subject: Re: Statistics; chi-square and F

The chi-square distribution is used to test how well a set of data
conforms to a pre-existing expectation of what those data should be.
The variation of each measured number from the expected value is the
raw material.

The F-distribution is used to test a hypothesis: without this
hypothesis there's so much scatter in the data; with the hypothesis,
there's less scatter. How well has our hypothesis managed to make
order out of what was previously considered scatter?

The F and chi-square distributions are indeed related. The
mathematical relation is described a little cryptically in these

   The Normal Distribution and Related Continuous Probability
   Distribution - ThinkQuest

   The F Distribution - Virtual Laboratories in Probability and

If you prefer a more verbose explanation:

   Test of Significance for Two Population Variances -
   Math Department, Trigon University

A canonical example of when you might use the F-distribution is at:

   Why We Use Analysis of Variance to Compare Group Means and
   How it Works - Prof. Sid Sytsma, Ferris State University

- Doctor Mitteldorf, The Math Forum
Associated Topics:
High School Statistics