Population Densities

Date: 03/17/2002 at 20:48:49
From: Hannah
Subject: Population densities

State        Population         Area (square miles)
Connecticut  3275000            4845
Wyoming      476000             97105

How many people would have to move from Connecticut to Wyoming to make
the population densities the same? Explain.

I know how to get population densities, but I have no clue how to make
them the same. Can you show me how?

Date: 03/17/2002 at 21:43:49
From: Doctor Twe
Subject: Re: Population densities

Hi Hannah - thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

The trick here is to first figure out what that equal population
density is.

We have a total of 3,275,000 + 476,000 = 3,751,000 people living in a
total of 4,845 + 97,105 = 101,950 square miles. If the people were
distributed evenly across both states, what would that population
density be?

Then how many people would live in Connecticut and how many would live
in Wyoming? Finally, how many would have to move to make that happen?

- Doctor TWE, The Math Forum

High School Statistics