Solving a Complicated Equation

Date: 25 Apr 1995 01:34:40 -0400
From: Anonymous

Dear Dr. Math:

I sent you a difficult math problem yesterday.  Here is that
problem again:
         Please solve this equation for variable X with parameter k:
My internet address has been changed. Please send the answer
to this address:
Thank you.
   reza navid

Date: 28 Apr 1995 15:33:39 -0400
From: Dr. Ken
Subject: Re: IMPORTANT

Hello there!

Here's something to think about in that equation: there are k+1 terms on the
left side of the equation (one for each value that goes from 0 to k), each
of which is less than or equal to 1.  The right side is k+1.  What
constraints must be put on k+1 numbers, each of which is less than or equal
to 1, so that they add up to k+1?

Once you've got that, see if the rest of the problem falls into place.  If
you still have trouble, write us back and we'll give you some more hints.

Associated Topics:
High School Basic Algebra