Calculate Gross Salary From Net Salary

Date: 27 Apr 1995 22:03:32 -0400
From: Manfred Jung
Subject: (none)

Hi there Dr Math.

I would appreciate some help with a formula if anyone be so kind.
This is what it must do:

It must calculate the Gross Salary from the net salary. Normally,
this is done the other way round, starting with the Gross arriving
at the tax and net salary:

Gross * Rate - Rebate = Tax + Net
15000 * 0.19 - 2625   = 225  + 14775

How would the formula look if you have this?
Gross * Rate - Rebate = Tax + Net
  x   * 0.19 - 2625   =  y  + 14775

How could you calculate x and y?

Contact me please via internet <mjung@access.alt.za>

Thanks in advance

Manfred

Date: 28 Apr 1995 01:06:42 -0400
From: Dr. Ken
Subject: Re: Gross Salary

Hello there!

If you have the equation x * 0.19 - 2625 = y + 14775, the best you can
do is solve for x in terms of y:  first add 2625 to both sides to get
x * 0.19 = y + 17400, and then divide both sides by 0.19:
x = 5.26 * y + 91579.  You'll never be able to determine specific values
of x and y without more information.  Is there any relationship between
the Gross Salary and the Tax that you haven't mentioned?  If there is,
then we'll be able to solve the problem.  Without any more information,
the problem can't be taken any further.

-K

Associated Topics:
High School Basic Algebra