Hints for Algebra 101

Date: 31 Jul 1995 21:40:53 -0400
From: Anonymous
Subject: beginning algebra

Soon I will begin algebra 101.  Do you have helpful survival guide/
hints/how to's, etc?  Thanks.

Date: 1 Aug 1995 10:38:01 -0400
From: Dr. Ken
Subject: Re: beginning algebra

Hello there!

Well, if this is a beginning algebra course (the equivalent of what a lot of
students take in junior high or high school), and you've never done algebra
before, this class is going to be quite different from most of the classes
you've taken before.  It's going to be WAY COOL!  I'm serious.  Here are a
few things you might study in Algebra:

You'll learn what a POLYNOMIAL is.  Here are a few:
        x + 4
        8
        y^2 - 2y + 1  (that's y squared plus (2 times y)  plus one)
        p^9 + p^3 + 1

You'll learn how to take polynomials like these and FACTOR them:
        for instance,     y^2 - 2y + 1 = (y-1)(y-1)
                    2x^3 + 5x^2 - 12x  = x(x+4)(2x-3)

You'll learn lots and lots of other cool stuff too.  I guess I don't really
have any suggestions for how best to survive the course, other than to just
make sure you stay awake and sit up straight.  Slouching can lead to posture
problems later in life.

Seriously, I think you might do best to just show up to the first class and
see what the teacher says you should do.  Your teacher probably has a few
specific things that he or she does differently from other teachers, and if
you want to get a head start on this stuff you should probably ask your
teacher.

-K

Associated Topics:
High School Basic Algebra