A Quadratic Inequality

Date: 4/27/96 at 17:10:42
From: Anonymous
Subject: Quadratic Inequality

Solve the inequality, and express the solutions in terms of intervals
whenever possible.

1. (3x+1)(d-10x)>0
    x > -(1/3)
    x < (1/2)

I am able to solve for an answer but I do not understand how to
express it in intervals.

Date: 8/4/96 at 16:31:47
From: Doctor Mike
Subject: Re: Quadratic Inequality

The (d-10x) was probably intended to be (5-10x), right?  That would
match up with your partial answer x<(1/2). You are correct in the way
that you have solved the problem so far.  What you need to understand
is that BOTH x > -(1/3) AND x < (1/2) has to be true at the same time
for the same value of x. If you have such an x value, that x value
will make (3x+1) > 0 and (5-10x) > 0 so that the product will be > 0
too.

Where the interval part of the question comes into the picture is that
any x value between -(1/3) and +(1/2) will work.  The interval on the
number line from -(1/3) to +(1/2) is usually represented as

  ( -(1/3), 1/2 ).

Sometimes you see intervals represented like this:

  [ -(1/3), 1/2 ]

using square brackets instead of parentheses.  That means that
the end-points, in this case the numbers -(1/3) and 1/2, are included
in the interval.  In your problem you DO NOT want to write the
interval in this way because including these two x values will make
the product equal to zero instead of greater than zero.  If your
original problem had been written " > = 0 " meaning greater-than-or-
equal-to-zero, only then would the correct interval answer have been

Hope this helps.  Please write back if you have other math questions
and we will try to be faster in answering them.

-Doctor Mike,  The Math Forum

High School Basic Algebra