Asymptotes

Date: 6/3/96 at 3:11:30
From: Robert Veranes
Subject: Asymptotes

Will you please explain when asymptotes occur?

Date: 6/21/96 at 16:8:51
From: Doctor Leigh

Robert,

Asymptotes occur when you have a value for which a function is
undefined, and where the limit (the number the function is approaching
as it gets close to that value) is either positive or negative
infinity. This could result from a denominator in a function including
a variable that cannot be canceled out with something in the
numerator.

Thanks for your question - I hope you understand it better now.

-Doctor Leigh Ann,  The Math Forum

High School Basic Algebra