First Year Algebra

Date: 6/19/96 at 11:20:57
From: Anonymous
Subject: First Year Algebra

Could you tell me what a person should have learned after one
year of Algebra I?  This is a high school course but I am in middle
school and I don't think my teacher taught me everything I should know
(we didn't finish our book and we didn't even do factoring).  I am
going to be taking geometry next year and I want to be prepared.

Can you help me?  Thanks.

Date: 6/20/96 at 11:44:4
From: Doctor Beth
Subject: Re: First Year Algebra

Generally in Algebra I, a student learns how to solve linear equations
(equations with just an x in them, not an x^2), graph straight lines,
set up some word problems, factor, perform operations on rational
expressions such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing
them - problems may look like

        3x-4      2x
        ----  +  -----
         x-2     x + 2

- and sometimes some other topics.

Not all of these topics are directly used in a geometry course -
usually you'll have to solve linear equations and maybe use factoring
to solve an occasional quadratic equation (one that has an x^2 in
it).  More of geometry is conceptual and learning how to prove things.
The other Algebra I topics I mentioned get used in Algebra II,
sometimes with review and sometimes not.  If your Algebra I class is
in the same school system as your Geometry class, it's possible that
all students have the same background, and that the Geometry teacher
will know what topics that you did and didn't cover in Algebra I.

I hope this helps answer your question!

-Doctor Beth,  The Math Forum

High School Basic Algebra
Middle School Algebra