Solving for Rate

Date: 8/8/96 at 14:59:25
From: Anonymous
Subject: Solving for Rate

If    P=V*R/(1-(1+R)^(-n))

How is this simplified to solve for "R"?

Date: 8/9/96 at 8:10:26
From: Doctor Anthony
Subject: Re: Solving for Rate

Depending on the value of n (is it a positive integer?), you cannot in
general get R explicitly as a function of P and V.  i.e. you cannot
swing the equation into the form R = f(P,V).  The easiest approach for
this type of problem is to express the equation in the form R = f(R)
and then use  iterative methods to find R.  This will work if f'(R)<1
near the root.  An alternative method is Newton-Raphson. (See any
standard textbook on the calculus).  If you have particular values of
P, V and n, I will happily solve for R if you send me the information.

-Doctor Anthony,  The Math Forum

Date: 8/9/96 at 15:26:2
From: Anonymous

Yes, "N" would always be a positive integer.

What I'm trying to do is determine the interest rate if the loan
amount, term and monthly payments are known ("N" is the monthly term).
More precisely, to determine the effective interest rate on the lease
plans offered by car dealerships.

The example I've been playing with is a $12,000.00 loan for 24 months
with a payment of $548.22.  The rate should be 9.0% and I thought the
equation for determining the payment {(P=V*R/(1-(1+R)^(-N)) where P is
payment, V is loan amount, R is rate and N is term} could be converted
to solve for rate if all other variables were known.  (Since it is a
lease, the effective loan amount would be the assumed current cash
price less the locked in purchase price at the end of the lease.)

Thanks for any assistance.

Date: 8/17/96 at 16:45:18
From: Doctor Anthony

If we look at the actual equation, it is, (assuming R = 9 percent per
year = 0.75 percent per month)

P{1 + 1.0075 + 1.0075^2 + ...+ 1.0075^23} = V{1.0075}^24
P{1.0075^24 - 1}/0.0075 = V{1.0075}^24

Now at this point, we assume that P and V are known, but the
percentage rate is unknown.  So we shall replace 1.0075 in this
expression by x, and also enter the known values of P and V.  We get

548.22{x^24 - 1} = (x-1)*12000*x^24
548.22x^24 - 548.22 = 12000x^25 - 12000x^24
12548.22x^24 - 12000x^25 = 548.22

If you now try x=1.0075 in this expression, you will find that it
gives the exact solution.  So the information given in the question is
consistent. You will observe, too, that an equation of the 25th degree
does not allow x to be expressed explicitly in terms of P and V.

-Doctor Anthony,  The Math Forum

High School Basic Algebra
High School Calculus
High School Interest