Negative Exponents

Date: 10/23/96 at 19:21:56
From: Mike
Subject: Negative exponents

I have to simplify this expression with non-negative exponents: x^5.
I don't understand the question.  Is it just x/x 5 times? How is that
simplified?

Date: 10/24/96 at 18:30:16
From: Doctor Allen
Subject: Re: Negative exponents

Since your subject line says negative exponents, I assume you are
asking about x^-5.

If that is the case, the negative sign indicates the reciprocal
or 1/(x^5).

-Doctor Allen,  The Math Forum

High School Basic Algebra
Middle School Algebra