Point on a Line

Date: 03/23/2001 at 01:30:02
From: Chris
Subject: Point exists on line?

Can you please tell me a formula to find if a point exists on a line?
Both are in x,y form.

Example: is point (x3,y3) on line (x1,y1) - (x2,y2) ?

Thank you.

Date: 03/23/2001 at 05:31:00
From: Doctor Floor
Subject: Re: Point exists on line?

Hi, Chris,

Thanks for writing.

We can check whether the slopes of the lines through
  * P1(x1,y1) and P2(x2,y2)
  * P1(x1,y1) and P3(x3,y3)
are equal.

The first slope is given by

   y1 - y2
   -------
   x1 - x2

and the second slope is given by

   y1 - y3
   -------
   x1 - x3

The condition that these two are equal gives:

   y1 - y2    y1 - y3
   ------- =  -------
   x1 - x2    x1 - x3

and thus

  (y1 - y2)(x1 - x3) = (y1 - y3)(x1 - x2)

  x1y1 + x3y2 - x1y2 - x3y1 = x1y1 + x2y3 - x1y3 - x2y1

  x1(y3-y2) + x2(y1-y3) + x3(y2-y1) = 0

This is the formula you are looking for.

Addition:

The left-hand side of the equation can be written in the form of a
determinant:

 | 1  x1  y1 |
 | 1  x2  y2 | = 0
 | 1  x3  y3 |

(The column of 1's can also be the last column.)

This determinant is a very special one: it is the expression for twice
the area of triangle P1P2P3. So the condition that P3 lies on line P1
and P2 is translated into the condition that triangle P1P2P3 has an
area of zero.

For information on the determinant, see, from the Dr. Math archives,

  Determinants and the Area of a Triangle
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/chiaravalli12.14.98.html

  Finding Area Using Determinants
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/victoria.7.27.html