Transformations and Tessellations-- Symmetry

Date: 2 Jul 1995 12:02:32 -0400
From: Dov Peretz Elkins
Subject: symmetry

Dr. Math,
        My name is Jonathan Stadlin and I am studying Geometry at Princeton
High School.  We are in a Unit called Transformations and Tessellations.
My partner and I were given a chapter on Symmetry to teach to the class.  In
it, we must teach about reflectional symmetry, line s., axis of s., line of
s., mirror s.,  vertical s., horizontal s., horizontal and vertical s.,
toysyionsl d., and point s.  You do not have to expand on all of these but
if you have any interesting facts or teaching ideas, please respond as soon
as possible.

                        Thank you,
                                Jonathan Stadlin

Date: 2 Jul 1995 13:03:31 -0400
From: Sarah Seastone
Subject: Re: symmetry

Hi Jonathan -

You might look in the Princeton library for:

 _Introduction to Tessellations_, Jill Britton and Dale Seymour (Dale
Seymour publications)

 _The Magic Mirror of M.C. Escher_, Bruno Ernst (Random House)

 _Visions of Symmetry_ (W.H. Freeman), _M.C. Escher Kaleidocycles_
(Pomegranate Artbooks), and the article "Escher's Metaphors", in the
November 1994 issue of Scientific American magazine, all by Dr. Doris
Schattschneider

Key Curriculum Press, 1-800-995-MATH, sells a Three-Dimensional
Symmetry Video that shows how transformations create symmetries
in two and three dimensions, with real-world applications of symmetry.

Hope this helps.  Let us know how your presentation goes?

-- Sarah "On-duty Dr. Math"

Associated Topics:
High School Symmetry/Tessellations