2^4 = 16 AND 4^2 = 16

Date: 10/29/2001 at 12:24:38
From: Yvonne
Subject: Exponents

2^4 = 16 AND 4^2 = 16.

Can you think of any other pair of unequal numbers that share the same
relation as 2 and 4 in the above example? What was your strategy?

Date: 10/29/2001 at 12:31:14
From: Doctor Ian
Subject: Re: Exponents

Hi Yvonne,

My strategy is to think about symmetry, and the properties of even
exponents.

Note that

                1
  (-2)^(-4) = -----
               2^4

What do you suppose (-4)^(-2) is equal to?

- Doctor Ian, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Date: 10/29/2001 at 12:51:00
From: Yvonne Ortega

Thank you very much.  I put that down as a possibility, but I thought
perhaps there was another pair of numbers I was not thinking of. Are
there any other positive numbers you can think of? I sure can't.
Thanks again.

Date: 10/30/2001 at 11:43:39
From: Doctor Ian

Hi Yvonne,

Let's try another strategy.

You can use the University of Vienna's function plotter at

  http://www.univie.ac.at/future.media/moe/fplotter/fplotter.html

to plot the function

  (2^x) - (x^2)

Now, if you do this, any value of x where the graph crosses the x-axis
must be a solution to

  2^x = x^2

and thus the kind of number we're looking for. If you go ahead and
plot this function, you'll see that the graph crosses the x-axis at
three points: x = 2 (duh), x = 4 (which we already knew), and at
approximately -0.7666.

Let's check that:

  -0.7666^2 = 0.5877

  2^-0.7666 = 0.5878

Which is good enough for government work. Now, I know that you were
looking for positive numbers... but you were also looking for a
strategy, and this looks like a reasonable one to explore.

What happens if we try

  (3^x) - (x^3)

We get a graph that crosses the x-axis at two points: x = 3 (duh), and
approximately x = 2.478.  Let's check:

  2.478^3 = 15.216

  3^2.478 = 15.216

Now, 2.478 is only an approximation, but you can approximate it as
closely as you like by using something like Newton's Method. And you
can use the method to find as many pairs of numbers as you like.

Does this help?

- Doctor Ian, The Math Forum

High School Functions
High School Puzzles