The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math


Date: 01/09/2002 at 09:22:19
From: David Rader
Subject: Palindromic words

Good morning Dr. Math,

We all know that numbers such as 191 are called palindromes. Is there 
a name for words like SWIMS that look the same after a rotation of 
180 degrees (flipped and upside-down to my grade 3 students)? This 
is a first for me. I hope you can help.

Dave Rader

Date: 01/09/2002 at 10:08:20
From: Doctor Paul
Subject: Re: Palindromic words

It's called an inversion. Scott Kim wrote a book on inversions in 1981 
(ISBN 0716720442).

Samples of his work (the best I've ever seen) are at his website:   

I hope this helps. Please write back if you'd like to talk about this 

- Doctor Paul, The Math Forum   
Associated Topics:
High School Symmetry/Tessellations

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.