Minimum Value Problem

Date: 14 Jul 1995 19:38:23 -0400
From: Paul Twynam
Subject: Minimum Value Problem

Hello!

Can you help me with a math problem?  I need to find the minimum
value of E for E = be^(-ar) - dr^(-6) where b, a, d are constants and r is
the variable.  The problem is solving the equation E'=0.  Can it be done
algebraically or is a numerical method required?  I would appreciate your
assistance.

Paul Twynam
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date: 14 Jul 1995 20:58:28 -0400
From: Dr. Ken
Subject: Re: Minimum Value Problem

Hello there!

Yup, you're right.  Even our computer (which runs Mathematica) says "The
equations appear to involve transcendental functions in an essentially
non-algebraic way."  So I think your best bet is to do it numerically for
the specific a, b, and d.  Sorry we couldn't be more help.

-K

Associated Topics:
High School Calculus