Water Rising in a Tank

Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 18:22:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Anonymous
Subject: How fast is the water level rising?

A water tank is 30 meters wide, 60 meters long, and is 10 meters
deep at one end with the depth increasing linearly until it is 15
meters deep at the other end. Water is run into the tank at the rate
of 5 cubic meters per minute. How fast is the water level rising
when it is 3 meters deep?

Thanking you ahead of time, Dr. Math.

Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 12:43:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dr. Anthony

I take this to mean 3 metres at the deep end so we still have the
sloping floor exposed.

The sloping part of the tank has a flat surface 'length' 12 times the
depth, so if the depth is x and the length is 12x, the width is a
constant 30 metres. The volume of water present when the depth is
x is therefore:

V = (1/2)(x)(12x)*30 = 180*x^2 so dV/dx = 360x

Now water is entering at 5 m^3 per min, so dV/dt = 5, and we
require dx/dt.

We have dx/dt = dx/dV * dV/dt

= 1/(360x) * 5

= 1/(72x)

Now when x = 3, this gives dx/dt = 1/216 metres per minute

-Doctor Anthony, The Math Forum

Associated Topics:
High School Calculus