Primitive function

Date: 6/11/96 at 7:52:55
From: Csomos Tamas
Subject: Primitive function

Hi !

I have a math problem - please help me solve it:

Give a primitive function of        sin x
                               -----------------
                                           2
                                ln ( 2 + x  )
	Thanks...

		Thomas

Date: 9/5/96 at 10:19:25
From: Doctor Jerry
Subject: Re: Primitive function

I assume that the term "primitive function" refers to the integral.
I doubt that this particular integral is expressible as a finite
combination of elementary functions.  Moreover, Mathematica was unable
to find an antiderivative. This is more evidence that the integral is
not expressible as a finite combination of elementary functions.

If this is true, it's not a tragedy; indeed, it is more likely that a
randomly selected integral (whatever randomly selected means) is not
integrable in the above sense than otherwise.

-Doctor Jerry,  The Math Forum

High School Calculus