A Limit Problem

Date: 10/24/96 at 14:5:54
From: Dallas Oler
Subject: A limit problem

What is the limit of (x^2 -4) / (2x) as x approaches infinity?

Thank you,

Dallas

Date: 10/24/96 at 15:48:56
From: Doctor Donald
Subject: Re: A limit problem

Write it as  x^2(1-4/x^2)
                2x

As x approaches inf, 4/x^2 approaches 0, so we get large numbers
x times 1/2 times stuff which is about 1.  The net result is
larger and larger products - the answer is infinity.

-Doctor Donald,  The Math Forum

High School Calculus