Polar Coordinates

Date: 11/4/96 at 12:29:14
From: Scott Thompson
Subject: (no subject)

My question:

Find the polar equation of the "Folium of Descartes" ->
x^3 + y^3 = 3axy with x+y+a=0 as an asymptote.

I think I need to do something with x=rcost, and y = rsint.

Thanks for any help,
Scott

Date: 11/05/96
From: Doctor Pete
Subject: Re: (no subject)

To find the polar equation of x^3 + y^3 = 3axy with x+y+a=0 as an
asymptote, you need to substitute x = r*Cos[t], y = r*Sin[t] into the
Cartesian equation, and simplify.  Why do you do this?

-Doctor Pete,  The Math Forum

High School Calculus