What is a continued fraction?

Date: 03/06/98 at 20:08:31
From: Jim Wollak
Subject: What is a continued fraction?

Dear Dr. Math,

In one of your archived problems from Oliver Wong on 6/3/96 regarding
the number "e," you stated that "e" can be expressed as a CONTINUED
FRACTION.

  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/wong6.3.96.html

I'm familiar with fractions, but continued ones? Are these fractions
or functions expressed like a fraction? I'm not too smooth with the
Net, but I did try to skim your archived problems, dictionary, and
commonly asked questions about this subject. I'm curious about the
term, and would simply like to know more about it (In other words,
it's not for a class.).

My real questions are, what is a continued fraction and what makes it
different from the types of fractions or ratios I'm used to?

Thank you very much.

Jim W.

Date: 03/06/98 at 23:17:57
From: Doctor Wolf
Subject: Re: What is a continued fraction?

Hi Jim,

As explained in the archived problem you mention, a continued fraction
is a fraction of the form:

                             1
     X = A_0 + --------------------------------
                                  1
                A_1 + -------------------------
                                     1
                       A_2 + ------------------
                                         1
                              A_3 + -----------
                                     A_4 + ...

These values can often also be expressed as an infinite series. For
example, e can be calculated to any precision (based on Taylor's
Theorem) by the series:

    e = 2 + 1/2! + 1/3! + 1/4! + 1/5! + ... forever

where 2! = 1*2, 3! = 1*2*3, 4! = 1*2*3*4, etc.

Since the expansion goes on forever, it is an example of an infinite
series. I've provided a few others below. It's an interesting exercise
to evaluate each of these with a calculator and see how close the
infinite series version is to the actual answer after only a few
terms or series are considered.

    cos(x) = 1 - x^2/2!   + x^4/4!   - x^6/6! + ... x in radians
    sin(x) = x - x^3/3!  + x^5/5!  - x^7/7! + ...   x in radians
    e^x = 1 + x + x^2/2! + x^3/3! + x^4/4! + ... (let x = 1 to find e)

Excellent question.

-Doctors Wolf and TWE, The Math Forum

High School Calculus
High School Definitions