Volume of a Sphere

Date: 04/21/98 at 14:08:55
From: Ariel Fishman
Subject: Calc 2 proof

Can you help me prove the formula for the volume of a sphere? I have
no clue as to where to start! Your help with previous questions has
been greatly appreciated and very helpful. Thank you!

--Ariel Fishman

Date: 04/21/98 at 17:15:31
From: Doctor Jen
Subject: Re: Calc 2 proof

Think about a circle, radius a, centre (0,0). The equation of this
circle is x^2 + y^2 = a^2, yes? If you've done circles, you'll know
this - if not, use Pythagoras' theorem to convince yourself.

You get a sphere by taking this circle and rotating it about the

Once you have your sphere, imagine it chopped up into lots and lots
of slices, cuts going vertically. It's like when you slice a tomato.
One of these slices, we say, has radius y, and width (delta x).

The volume of this element is approximately equal to pi*y^2*(delta x)
(the area of the disc, times its thickness. It's approximate, because
it's not quite a regular cylinder, being a slice of a sphere - the
radius at the top is a bit bigger than the radius at the bottom).

The volume of the sphere, then, is the sum of all these elements,
added together between x = -a and x = a. (Please try doing a diagram
to follow this through; it should make a lot more sense. Well, when
you've sliced the tomato, you put the slices together to make the
whole again - yes?)

Thus, V is approximately SIGMA (pi*y^2*(delta x)).

This is still approximate, because we assumed the element was a disc
in order to calculate its volume, when in fact its edge was slightly
curved, so it wasn't a true cylinder.

So we let delta x -> 0. This makes the element become closer to being
a cylinder as its width becomes smaller.

Now we can say V = int. pi*y^2 dx between -a and a.

If you remember, y^2 = a^2 - x^2. So substitute this into the
integral, to get   V = int. pi*(a^2-x^2) dx between -a and a.

Okay from there? Integrate, apply the limits, and find that
V = (4*pi*a^3)/3

-Doctor Jen,  The Math Forum

Date: 04/21/98 at 17:43:46
From: Doctor Anthony

There are many different methods, all using integral calculus.

If you consider a circle x+2 + y^2 = a^2 and rotate this about the x
axis you generate a sphere. Using the usual formula for a volume
of revolution:

     V = INT(-a to a)[pi*y^2*dx]

       = INT[pi*(a^2-x^2)dx]

       = pi*[a^2x - x^3/3]  evaluated from -a to a

       = pi[a^3 - a^3/3 -(-a^3 + a^3/3)]

       = pi[2a^3/3 + 2a^3/3]

       = 4pi*a^3/3

-Doctor Anthony,  The Math Forum

For more about sphere formulas, see the Dr. Math FAQ:

Associated Topics:
High School Calculus
High School Geometry
High School Higher-Dimensional Geometry