Finding the Derivative

Date: 07/27/99 at 12:11:11
From: Kayla McLean
Subject: Finding the Derivative

y =  A*(1-e(-cN))* (1-e(-cM))

Can you help me take the derivative of this function with respect to
N? When I did the problem, I left out the A because it is a constant.
I ended up with something like this:

dy/dN = (1 - e(-cN))* (1/e(cM)) + (1 - e(-cM))*(1/e(cN))

Date: 07/27/99 at 13:30:17
From: Doctor Rob
Subject: Re: Finding the Derivative

Don't leave out the A, but carry it along as factor.  Remember
d(c*u)/dx = c*du/dx, if c is a constant.  Also, (1 - e^(-cM)) is a
constant too, since it does not depend on N.

Now try again.

- Doctor Rob, The Math Forum

High School Calculus