Complex Numbers

Date: 3/18/96 at 0:19:13
From: Anonymous
Subject: Complex problem

For an extra credit assignment I was asked to find out "why are
complex numbers important"?  Can you help?  The books that I have
looked in don't really tell you why they are important - they just say
that they are.

Thanks.

Date: 8/16/96 at 17:35:41
From: Doctor James
Subject: Re: Complex problem

Complex numbers are used in a wide variety of physical applications.
One place is in electronics and electricity applications -
specifically, there are real and imaginary parts to voltages and
current in AC circuits.

-Doctor James,  The Math Forum

High School Imaginary/Complex Numbers