Are Transcendentals Irrational?

Date:9/1/95 at 17:54
From: Mark Counides
Subject: transcendental numbers

Are transcendental numbers a subset of the irrationals?

Date: 9/2/95 at 11:28:10
From: Doctor Ken
Subject: Re: transcendental numbers

Yes!

All transcendental numbers are irrational.  Transcendental means
non-algebraic, and irrational means non-rational.  If we have a rational
number p/q, then it is a root of the polynomial qx - p.  So all rational
numbers are algebraic.

-Doctor Ken,  The Geometry Forum

Associated Topics:
High School Transcendental Numbers