Tangent and Secant

Date: 2 Feb 1995 11:31:27 -0500
From: pat casey
Subject: <None>

Please, I need help with the following problem in pre-calculus math:

tan b + cot b = sec b csc b

Date: 2 Feb 1995 12:12:34 -0500
From: Dr. Ken
Subject: Re: <None>

Hello there!

In problems like these, when you're trying to prove that an identity is
true, it's often easiest to put everything in terms of Sine and Cosine.  So
your equation becomes

Sin b   Cos b          1
Cos b   Sin b     Cos b Sin b

Now try to eliminate the denominators by multiplying the equation by some
stuff.

I hope this gets you somewhere!

-Ken "Dr." Math

Associated Topics: