Trigonometry and Navigation

Date: 29 Mar 1995 00:55:09 -0500
From: Ron Francis
Subject: Using Trig and Navigation

Hello,

I am a Soph. at Campolindo High here in Moraga CA.

I have a research project to write about the uses of Trig in the field
of Navigation.

I've tried various Yahoo searches on the net and not come up with
anything useful. Do you have any insight or direction to point me in?

Thanks, Corrie Francis

Date: 29 Mar 1995 13:52:41 -0500
From: Dr. Ken
Subject: Re: Using Trig and Navigation

Hello there!

Well, I've found a couple of books that might be useful to you:

 AUTHOR       Young, J. R. (John Radford), 1799-1885.
 TITLE        Elements of plane and sphereical trigonometry : with its
                applications to the principles of navigation and nautical
                astronomy; with logarithmic and trigonometrical tables /
                By J.R. Young ... To which are added some original
                researches in spherical geometry; by T. S. Davies ..
 EDITION      Rev. and cor. by J. D. Williams ..
 PUBLISHER    Philedelphia : Carey, Lea & Blanchard, 1838.
 DESCRIPT     148 p. : diagrs. ; 23 cm.
 SUBJECT      Navigation.
              Nautical astronomy.
              Geometry, Spherical.
 SUBJECT      Navigation.
              Nautical astronomy.
              Geometry, Spherical.
              Trigonometry.
 NOTE         New edition.

 AUTHOR       Rider, Paul Reece, 1888-
 TITLE        Navigational trigonometry / by Paul R. Rider ... and Charles
                A. Hutchinson.
 PUBLISHER    New York, The Macmillan company, 1943.
 DESCRIPT     ix, p. 1 l., 232 p. diagrs. 22 cm.
 SUBJECT      Spherical trigonometry.
              Navigation.
 NOTE         "Answers to odd-numbered exercises": p. 223-227.
              "A revision and extension of Part of Rider's Plane and
                spherical trigonometry."--Pref.
 ALT. ENTRY   Rider, Paul Reece, 1888- Plane and spherical trigonometry.
              Hutchinson, Charles Angevine, 1897- joint author.

 AUTHOR       Abel, Thomas.
 TITLE        Subtensial plain trigonometry, [microform] :  wrought with a
                sliding-rule, with Gunter's lines: and also arithmetically,
                in a very concise manner. And this method applied to
                navigation, and surveying. : To which is added, I.
                Mensuration of masons work. II. A solution of rota, or
                Aristotle's wheel. III. A brief discourse upon gravity. /
                By Thomas Abel, of Bourn in Lincolnshire, Old England.
 PUBLISHER    Philadelphia: : Printed and sold for the author, by Andrew
                Steuart,, 1761.
 DESCRIPT     [4], 86, [2] p., 7 leaves of plates : ill., ; 16 cm. (8vo)
 SUBJECT      Plane trigonometry.
              Slide-rule.
              Navigation.
              Surveying.
              Gravitation.
 SERIES       Early American imprints. First series ; no. 8777.
 NOTE         Signatures: pi2 A-L4 (L4 blank)
              Errors in paging: p. 25, 28, 29, and 32 misnumbered 17, 20,
                21, and 24.
              Errata statement, p. [3], 1st count.
 REFERENCE    Evans 8777.
              Hildeburn, C.R.  Pennsylvania, 1709.
 NOTE         Microopaque. Worcester, Mass. : American Antiquarian Society,
                1955-1983. 23 x 15 cm. (Early American imprints. First
                series; no. 8777)
 ALT. ENTRY   Gunter, Edmund, 1581-1626.

I'm not sure what these books will have to offer, as it looks like they're
really old.  There was nothing newer to be found, though.  I hope these can
help you.

-Ken "Dr." Math

Associated Topics:
High School Trigonometry