Sine of an Angle and Opposite Side

Date: 5/17/96 at 16:54:58
From: Anonymous
Subject: Relationship of sine of an angle to its opposite side

Hello.  I am a 10th grader in high school and I am currently in
Algebra II.  Our math teacher gave us a problem for bonus, but she
didn't know the complete answer.  Do you think you could help?

Given triangle ABC inscribed in a circle.  Prove why (sin A)/a equals
the diameter of the circle.

Date: 5/28/96 at 22:55:37
From: Doctor Pete

Let the center of the circumscribed circle of triangle ABC be O.
Draw OA to intersect at D, so AD is a diameter.  Then angle
BOD = 2BAD.  This is because AO = BO, so ABO is isoceles, and
therefore angle ABO = BAO; since BOD = ABO+BAO, BOD = 2BAD.

Similarly, COD = 2CAD, so BOC = BOD+COD = 2(BAD+CAD) = 2BAC.
Then the angle bisector of BOC also bisects BC.
Since triangle BOC is isoceles; let the midpoint of BC be E.
Hence sin(A)/a = sin(BAC)/BC = sin(BOC/2)/(2BE) = sin(BOE)/(2BE)
= (BE/BO)/(2BE) = 1/(2BO). But BO is the radius R of O, so
a/sin(A) = D, where D is the diameter of the circumscribed circle.

Note that sin(A)/a cannot give the diameter (think of the units); if
one has two similar triangles ABC and A'B'C', sin(A) = sin(A'), so you
would expect the radii to be *directly* proportional to the length of
a side, not *inversely* proportional.

Also, you can see this gives a proof of the Law of Sines, which states
sin(A)/a = sin(B)/b = sin(C)/c.

-Doctor Pete,  The Math Forum

High School Trigonometry