Etymology of Cosine

Date: 5/21/96 at 11:4:2
From: Anonymous
Subject: Cosine

I am writing to find out who/where cosine came from. I found out about
sine from Dr. Math, but I didn't see anything about cosine. Could you
help me?
					Kenny Allen

Date: 7/2/96 at 22:15:51
From: Doctor Robert
Subject: Re: Cosine

The word cosine is short for "complementary sine".  You will notice
that the cosine of an acute angle is always equal to the sine of that
angle's complement.  For example, cos 60 = sin 30, or cos 27 = sin 63.

-Doctor Robert,  The Math Forum

High School Trigonometry