What is Trigonometry?

Date: 8/20/96 at 1:11:16
From: Anonymous
Subject: Trigonometry: What is it?

I  need a detailed description (in English that I can understand)
of what trigonometry is and what it is used for.

Date: 8/20/96 at 15:5:20
From: Doctor Robert
Subject: Re: Trigonometry: What is it?

Webster defines trigonometry as the study of the properties of
triangles and trigonometric functions and of their properties.

Using definitions of trigonometric functions of angles, one can find
relationships between the sides and the angles and sides of triangles.

One can also define trig functions in a larger way that does not
require the use of triangles.  These functions are of interest, in
part, because they can be used to model periodic behavior
in nature. Trig is used widely in engineering, applied science, and
navigation.

I hope that this helps.

-Doctor Robert,  The Math Forum

High School About Math