Finding Values of x for Trig Equation

Date: 9/11/96 at 9:34:45
From: Anonymous
Subject: Finding Values of x for Trig Equation

How do I find the values of x to make: tan x = -x/((16-x^2)^.5)) true?

I tried to use a computer program, but couldn't get the program to
work.

Date: 9/11/96 at 16:26:42
From: Doctor Robert
Subject: Re: Finding Values of x for Trig Equation

Try doing it with a graphing calculator.  Graph y = tan x and
y = -x/sqrt(16-x^2) and ask for the intersection.

There are several points of intersection. My calculator (TI-92) says
that one of them is (-2.4746,.7874)

-Doctor Robert,  The Math Forum

High School Trigonometry