Tutorial material/books/help

Date: 11/16/98 at 01:21:54
From: Carol M. Rogers
Subject: Tutorial material/books/help

I'm an accounting/business major at Fresno State University, Fresno,
CA. We are starting the trig section of our math course. I really
don't do well at all with regard to the "abstract" concept of math.
It's generally very frustrating for me and difficult to comprehend
most of the concepts. I was wondering if you could possibly suggest a
book I could buy as a tutorial or maybe something I can order or
download on the Internet that will help me. We've gone through
Algebra I and II and Geometry. I would appreciate any suggestions that
you may have.

Thanks!

Carol M. Rogers

Date: 11/16/98 at 19:25:57
From: Doctor Roya
Subject: Re: Tutorial material/books/help

Hi Carol,

Thank you for submitting your question to us. Here are some suggestions
of software/books/sites that might help you learn more about
trigonometry/pre-calculus concepts:

1. S.O.S. Mathematics - Trigonometry
   Learning units presented in worksheet format review the most
   important results, techniques and formulas in college and
   pre-college trigonometry.
   http://www.math.utep.edu/sosmath/trig/trig.html

2. Tutornet - Live Interactive Tutoring
   An interactive web site featuring teacher-moderated chat rooms to
   help students with tough homework problems in Algebra I, Geometry,
   Algebra II, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus, AP Calculus, Chemistry,
   Physics, and Biology. Tutorials are scheduled in the afternoon hours
   when students can access the site from school settings or their
   homes, and in early evening hours, with hours tailored to the local
   time of the students. As students log on, they select the subject
   area that they want help with and are then placed in the classroom
   with the fewest number of students at the time, greeted by a
   "Netucator," and invited to type or write their question.
   Tutornet.com allows students to print or save their work for later
   reference. Subscription payments of $59.99/month for unlimited
   access are made on-line using a secure credit card link.
   http://www.tutornet.com/

3. Math Planet
   A site for high school students featuring algebra, geometry, and
   geometry concepts glossaries; crash courses on basic Algebra and
   Geometry; an advanced course on Algebra and Trigonometry; a
   customizable lesson plan based on individual level
   http://library.advanced.org/16284/index_s.htm

4. A short course in trigonometry
   An introduction and a guide to trigonometry, with hints and answers
   to exercises, and Java applets as illustrations, for which you'll
   need a Java-enabled browser  (Netscape 2 or later). Contents include
   applications of trigonometry, angle measurement, chords, sines,
   cosines, tangents and slope, the trigonometry of right triangles,
   the trigonometric functions and their inverses, oblique triangles,
   and a summary of trigonometric identities.
   http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/trig/

5. Pre-Calculus Software
   Forum collection of shareware and freeware for IBM and MAC
   http://mathforum.org/precalc/precalc.software.html

In addition, you are always welcome to submit your specific questions
to Ask Dr. Math.

- Doctor Roya, The Math Forum

High School Trigonometry