Calculator for Algebra I and Physical Science

Date: 11 Aug 1995 13:27:52 -0400
From: Anonymous
Subject: Calculator

From: Art St. George

Question: My son is taking Algebra I and a first course in physical
science this semester. Do you have a recommendation for a calculator?
Thanks.

Date: 11 Aug 1995 13:38:55 -0400
From: Dr. Ken
Subject: Re: Calculator

Hello there!

I think the best advice I could give you is to talk to the teacher of the
course and see whether there is some calculator that they especially like.
Your son will get much more out of his calculator if the teachers support
him using it than if they don't.  In my high school, most of us used the
Casio 7700fx (I think that's the name, anyway; the calculator has since
wandered off), and I absolutely loved it.  I think they sell for about $60
or so.  These days, a lot of schools seem to like Texas Instruments' stuff,
but I don't know too much about them, having never used them extensively.  I
guess what I'm saying here is to see what the teacher (and other teachers at
the school too; other courses may take more advantage of calculator stuff
than the ones that your son is about to take this semester) recommends.

-K

Associated Topics:
High School Calculators, Computers