Computers and Calculators in Math Today

Date: 12/6/95 at 11:44:35
From: Anonymous
Subject: Calculators and Computers in Math

I am in 10th grade and we need to do a term paper on math, I need
to know how computers and calculators play a big part in math
today.

THANKS!

Date: 3/20/96 at 21:28:41
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: Calculators and Computers in Math

Hi there!  Have you finished your term paper?  We'd love to see
what you found.  I hope it went okay.

Lots of mathematicians use computers for their work...

- browse at the Geometry Center, http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/
where 3D graphics are used to work in math every day (especially
see some of their videos, like Inside Out, a computer animation of
a sphere turning inside out)

- look at the pi page (mathematicians have calculated around 2
BILLION digits of pi with computers) at
http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/~roy/upi/pi.html

- find other related careers at the MAA's What's a Math Degree
GOOD for? page gopher://gopher.maa.org/11/student/moms

Other interesting things to look at:

- Turing's mathematical basis for computer science

- calculus reform movements at several colleges and high schools,
including programs like Mathematica, or computer labs and graphing
calculators in the calculus curriculum

People to talk to:

- talk to teachers and students who are working for/against
calculus reform

- talk to people who have seen computers revolutionize mathematics
and mathematics education

  Please do write us again with other questions.

- Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics:
High School Calculators, Computers