Converting a Decimal Hour

Date: 11/22/2001 at 06:50:59
From: Steve Cowle
Subject: Converting a decimal hour

How do I convert 1.7 hours into hours, min, sec? Is there a standard
formula I can use? I would like to put this into an Excel spreadsheet.

Date: 11/22/2001 at 08:21:26
From: Doctor Jerry
Subject: Re: Converting a decimal hour

Hi Steve,

You can use the "Floor" function in Excel.

Put the letters r, h, r, m, and s in cells A1, A2, A3, A4, and A5.
These stand for the original time (t), the hours (h), a remainder (r),
the minutes (m), and the seconds (s). These are just to help remember
what is where.

In B1 put the time you want converted.  Try 1.82.
In B2 put      =FLOOR(B1,1)
In B3 put      =(B1-B2)*60
In B4 put      =FLOOR(B3,1)
In B5 put      =(B3-B4)*60

The result is that 1.82 is converted to 1 hour, 49 minutes, and 12
seconds.

If you put 1.877 in for t (in B1), you'll get 1 hour, 52 minutes, and
37.2 seconds.

- Doctor Jerry, The Math Forum

High School Calculators, Computers