Solving a Fractional Equation

Date: 3/10/96 at 20:3:24
From: Larrieux Emmanuel
Subject: I have a little question!

Hi Swat Team!

Can you help me with this?

           2   2
M + N     M + N     2M
----- +  ------- - ------ =
           2   2
N - M     N - M     M - N

Thanks a lot!

Bye,

        Emmanuel Larrieux

Date: 3/28/96 at 23:35:46
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: I have a little question !

Hi there Emmanuel!

For this problem you need a common denominator.

I'd suggest using N^2 - M^2  (that is, N squared minus M squared)
as the common denominator.

(N - M) times (N + M) will give you N^2 - M^2

So will (M - N) * (-1) * (N + M)

Can you take it from here?

Write us back if you need more help.

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum