Translation

Date: 9/11/96 at 3:2:54
From: Anonymous
Subject: Definition of "Transformation"

In geometry, what does translation mean?

Date: 9/11/96 at 14:17:51
From: Doctor Mike
Subject: Re: Definition of "Transformation"

Hi,  It means to move from one place to another.  For example, you
could move the circle of radius 3 centered at the origin point (0,0)
to another location, like with center at (-7,11). Then its equation
would change to (X+7)^2 + (Y-11)^2 = 9 from the X^2 + Y^2 = 9
original.

Of course there are other uses of the word. Translation from English
to Japanese, for example. Also, if a lawyer starts talking about "the
party of the first part ...etc." you might ask for that to be
translated (from legal English) into English.

The common thread here is that all uses of "translation" involve a
change from one place or state or form to another.

I hope this helps.  If you need more info on translations or
other kinds of geometric transformations, just write back.

-Doctor Mike,  The Math Forum

High School Definitions
High School Euclidean/Plane Geometry
High School Geometry