Sources For Information About Fractals

Date: 16 Feb 1995 07:27:53 -0500
From: Maxine Fuentes
Subject: fractals

I am a 9th grader and would like to learn about fractals.  Where should I
look?

Thank you for being there to answer our questions.
Tina Comissiong

Date: 20 Feb 1995 23:11:17 -0500
From: Dr. Ken
Subject: Re: fractals

Hello there!

I went digging through our library's on-line catalog, and I found a bunch of
books about fractals.  Here are some that I thought might offer a good
introduction.  I've never actually taken a look at any of these books, so I
can't be sure that any of them are any good, but it may be a start!  Good
luck.

 AUTHOR       McGuire, Michael (Michael D.)
 TITLE        An eye for fractals : a graphic & photographic essay / by Michael
                McGuire.
 PUBLISHER    Redwood City, Calif. : Addison-Wesley, c1991.
 DESCRIPT     165 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 25 cm.
 SUBJECT      Fractals.
 NOTE         Includes bibliographical references (p. 161-164)
 ISBN         0201554402.

 AUTHOR       Tricot, Claude.
 TITLE        Curves and fractal dimension / Claude Tricot ; with a foreword
								  by Michel Mendes France.
 PUBLISHER    New York : Springer-Verlag, c1995.
 DESCRIPT     xiv, 323 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
 SUBJECT      Curves, Plane.
              Fractals.
 NOTE         Includes bibliographical references (p. [315]-318) and index.
              "First French edition, Courbes et Dimension Fractale, Springer-
                Verlag, Paris, 1993." -- t.p. verso.
 ISBN         0387940952 (New York)
              3540940952 (Berlin)
 ALT. ENTRY   Tricot, Claude. Courbes et dimension fractale. English. 1995.

 AUTHOR       Moon, F. C., 1939-
 TITLE        Chaotic and fractal dynamics : an introduction for applied
                scientists and engineers / Francis C. Moon.
 PUBLISHER    New York : Wiley, c1992.
 DESCRIPT     xx, 508 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 24 cm.
 SUBJECT      Chaotic behavior in systems.
              Dynamics.
              Fractals.
 NOTE         "A Wiley-Interscience publication."
              Includes bibliographical references (p. 471-496) and indexes.
 ISBN         0471545716.

 AUTHOR       Barnsley, M. F. (Michael Fielding), 1946-
 TITLE        Fractals everywhere / Michael Barnsley.
 PUBLISHER    Boston : Academic Press, c1988.
 DESCRIPT     xii, 394 p., [16] p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 25 cm.
 SUBJECT      Fractals.
 NOTE         Includes index.
              Bibliography: p. 381-384.
 ISBN         0120790629.

 AUTHOR       Davis, Donald M., 1945-
 TITLE        The nature and power of mathematics / Donald M. Davis.
 PUBLISHER    Princeton, N.J. : Princeton University Press, c1993.
 DESCRIPT     xi, 389 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
 SUBJECT      Geometry, Non-Euclidean.
              Number theory.
              Fractals.
              Cryptography.
 NOTE         Includes bibliographical references (p. [379]-382) and index.
 ISBN         0691025622 (pbk. : alk. paper) :
              0691087830 (alk. paper)

 AUTHOR       Kaye, Brian H. (Brian Howard), 1932-
 TITLE        A random walk through fractal dimensions / Brian H. Kaye.
 EDITION      1st ed.
 PUBLISHER    Weinheim, Germany : VCH Verlagsgesellschaft ; New York,
                      NY, USA :  VCH Publishers, 1989.
 DESCRIPT     xxv, 421 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 24 cm.
 SUBJECT      Fractals.
 NOTE         Includes indexes.
              Includes bibliographical references.
 ISBN         0895738880 (U.S.)