Doubling Time

Date: 03/08/2002 at 14:50:39
From: Ariele McWhinney
Subject: Scientific math formula

In my science lesson this week they are talking about the doubling
time of the human population and other things.  I have a formula that
has DT standing for doubling time:

   DT = 70(or any other #...I used x)/% growth per unit time

I am very confused. I kind of understand the formula, but then they
give me problems to figure out:

If the cost of an all-day ski lift ticket at Colorado's Vail Ski Area
has been growing at about 7% per year ever since Vail opened in 1963,
and at that time the cost of a ticket was $5, what did it cost in
1993?

I have tried replacing the information that they give me in the
formula, but I don't know which part of the formula to replace it
with.

Ariele McWhinney

Date: 03/08/2002 at 16:06:05
From: Doctor Rick
Subject: Re: Scientific math formula

Hi, Ariele.

Here is a hint on finding things on Dr. Math. You can use the Search
Dr. Math form

  http://mathforum.org/mathgrepform.html

to search for words or a phrase relating to your question. For
instance, if you type in

  doubling time

and select "that exact phrase" to look for these words together as a
phrase, you'll find this answer:

  Rule 0f 72
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/vasseur1.26.99.html

Here you will read about your formula, why it (sort of) works, and
when it doesn't work. The number in the formula does matter, and it
should be about 72; but the formula is only an approximation. The
exact formula is

  DT = log(2)/log(1+p/100)

where p is the percentage increase per unit time. Thus, in your
example, p=7, so 1+p/100 = 1.07 and

  DT = log(2)/log(1.07) = 10.245 years

However, this doesn't directly solve your problem, which says nothing
about doubling time. Instead we can write this equation:

  C = 5(1.07)^t

where C is the cost of a lift ticket and t is the number of years
since 1963. Do you understand this equation? At  t= 0 (the year 1963)
the cost is $5:

  C = 5(1.07)^0
    = 5(1)

At t = 1 (the year 1964) the cost is 1.07 times $5; that's an increase
of 7%. Each year following, you multiply by another factor of 1.07.

You can find the cost of a lift ticket in 1993 by deciding what the
value of t is in that year, then plugging this value into the equation
in place of t, and evaluating it to find C.

I'll be glad to answer any questions my explanation has raised. I
don't know how much you understand, so I haven't tried to explain
everything; I'll expect you to ask if you need more detail on some
point.

- Doctor Rick, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Date: 03/08/2002 at 16:31:39
From: Ariele McWhinney

Thank you very much for your explanation; it will help me greatly. I
think that my dad and I can do the rest.  I am in algebra this year
and just getting into complicated formulas.

Thank you again,
Ariele McWhinney

Associated Topics:
High School Exponents