Tesseracts and Hypercubes

Date: 05/22/97 at 14:37:21
From: Becky Smith
Subject: Tesseracts and hypercubes

I am a high school media coordinator with a geometry student who has
an assignment to write a 5-page paper on tesseracts and hypercubes.  I
have looked in our reference and math books but there's not enough
information to support a long paper.  Can you give me any good
clear concise information sources that a high school geometry student
would understand?  Thanks.

Date: 05/26/97 at 15:32:12
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: Tesseracts and hypercubes

Hi there!

Thanks for your question. Here are some Web sites that may be of use:

PICTURES

I found a good picture of a tesseract (also called a hypercube) at

  http://www.tisinc.com/html/tesserct.html

You will also find great pictures of the tesseract and other polytopes
(higher-dimensional polyhedra) at

  http://www.uccs.edu/~eswab/hyprspac.htm

A rotatable demonstration of a tesseract can be found at

  http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/docs/outreach/4-cube/

If this is too slow and you have access to a Macintosh, there is
another demonstration available for download at

  http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/software/download/geometry_games.html   )

ARTICLES

An article about visualizing the fourth-dimension is located at

  http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/docs/forum/polytope/

Answers to a high school student's questions about Euclidean geometry
in higher dimensions are at

  http://www.math.toronto.edu/mathnet/questionCorner/eucgeom.html

---------

That's most of what I found. Your student might also include a
discussion of the fourth dimension in the project. Dr. Math has
answered several questions on this topic; they are archived at

  http://mathforum.org/dr.math

Here is a good place to start:

  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/dixon24.html

Please write back if you need more help.

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Date: 05/27/97 at 08:17:12
From: Smith, Becky

Thanks so much for helping my student with some information sources
for tesseracts on the Net.  I'll keep this communication on file for
future reference on this topic.  Your site is a great place not only
for students, but for teachers and media personnel to get mathematical
information.

Becky Smith
Media Coordinator
Hickory High School